Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day +181

Today is June 17th, which means I am six months out from the bone marrow transplant. I try to take things one day at a time in life, especially when thinking of the cancer. Therefore I didn't really have many expectations for what it would be like at this point when I was back in the hospital receiving the new cells. However, there were some things that I was hoping for. I haven't gotten the news that I'm free of the cancer yet, which is a bit disappointing, but I haven't received any negative news about the cancer either. I don't think I fully appreciated at the time how long this process would be. I was obviously hoping that I wouldn't have a big problem with GVHD, and I felt I was doing great for a few months. While I missed the acute GVHD right after the transplant, the chronic GVHD has been a recent pain in the butt. I don't know if I had any other goals, but one things I really wanted to do was to get back to work before the end of the school year. Today was the last day of work for the summer, and I thankfully put in about a month of work before the year ended.

So while I didn't quite know what this time would bring me, I have to say that things are pretty positive right now. Bad health is something that I feared before my cancer diagnosis, but I've realized that I can handle the physical problems pretty well. There were some times that I was truly exhausted, sick, or in pain, but these are things that I've been able to handle...especially with Isaiah and Kate helping me along the way. Missing so much work wasn't fun, but the biggest positive taken away from that was a lot of time spent with Isaiah and Kate. Family time, even under less than ideal circumstances, can be as good as it gets.

Moving on from the reminiscing, I celebrated six months with nothing less than a trip to NIH. I saw the dermatologist, who was happy with the progress since the prednisone began. I am also starting a new protocol that will involve some tests to help document what my GHVD symptoms are. For this study they took a couple of skin biopsies today. It was a pretty easy visit overall.

Tommorrow I will head back to NIH for a busy day. I'll meet with the transplant team in the morning for them to check on my progress. They will decide then how I will continue with the prednisone dosing. With the progress I am making they might decide to taper the dosage to every other day. After meeting with them I'll have a dental visit for another study that I'll be starting. This one involves a thalidomide gel to help with ulcers in my mouth. The prednisone has helped my mouth since I started it, but there is still room to improve. This might help out as well, or I could end up on a placebo. Either way it shouldn't hurt.

In the afternoon I will take part in a swallowing test which will give the doctors an idea about how my throat is affecting my ability to swallow. Supposedly this involved some eggs with some traceable isotope in it. Sounds delicious. Following that I'll have to inhale pentamidime, which is the prophylactic for preventing pneumonia. So tommorow will be another busy day, but it feels like business as usual. I'm still a regular around NIH at six months, but that was to be expected. Hopefully it is just the beginning of another successful six months on the long road of life.

No comments: