Friday, July 3, 2009

Day +197

Having cancer has made it very easy to remember my haircuts. There haven't been many over the last two years, and today Kate gave me a trim with the clippers. My hair has been growing well, just not in all areas. The flaky, dry skin on my head hasn't been conducive to growing hair, and I've looked somewhat crazy lately. I had a balding pattern going on with long hairs that refused to do anything but stand straight up on my head. Now it is shorter, not quite bald, and hopefully it will start coming in a little better.

Over the last week it has felt good knowing the tumor has shrunk. I've been feeling pretty good with the prednisone as well until Tuesday night. My mouth became very sensitive to the texture of food, and I've had a flare up of the GVHD in my mouth. The last two days I've had new sores in my mouth, especially on the tongue. This makes eating and talking uncomfortable, which is especially a nuisance with Kate and I's anniversary today and the 4th of July tommorow. A nice dinner to celebrate four years would have been nice, but I think we will put that off until my mouth is ready to enjoy nice food.

Since the prednisone has been improving my symptoms pretty smoothly, the plan was to taper my dosage again. However, the flare up in the mouth led the doctor I saw today to keep me at the levels I am currently on. Its a little disappointing that I've had a bit of a setback with the symptoms, but this is all just part of what I have to deal with. Mouth pain aside, the rest of my symptoms haven't regressed and I am feeling pretty good overall. I'll make the best of this weekend, and I hope everybody else has a great Independence Day weekend as well!

No comments: