Friday, November 14, 2008

Last Round of EPOCH-CR

Well I'm back at NIH getting started on my sixth round of chemotherapy this time around, twelfth in the last fourteen months, and hopefully my last. Its a good feeling to know that I will be done with the EPOCH-CR process soon, however, with the bone marrow transplant on the horizon I know that I am not yet done dealing with this disease. There will be some chemotherapy before the transplant, but I'll be done with this type of chemo in just a few days.

My clinic visit yesterday involved just the usual blood tests and a visit with the doctors. Nothing special was planned, but somewhow things were backed up and despite having a two o'clock appointment, I didn't get finished being seen until past five. It was frustrating because Kate came with me to the appointment, was there for most of the waiting, and only got to speak with the doctors for a little bit since she had to pick up Isaiah from school. My mom spent a decent amount of time getting details from the transplant doctor, and I was happy that I already had an understanding of everything he was speaking about. I'm feeling ready for the whole bone marrow transplant procedure, but it will be the long time in the hospital and time away from family that will be the big issue to deal with. Although I'll be in the hospital over Christmas, I think that will be a good thing since it will make it easier for family to come up and visit me.

One annoying thing I noticed at NIH this morning is that they block access to internet games. I guess they use the same site-blocking for patients that they use for employees, which means I can't use mindless on-line games to help kill time. Oh well...I guess that means using my imagination to help me kill time in the hospital.

Two weeks from now will be Thanksgiving. I always have a lot to be thankful for, and it looks like it will be a packed house at my parents...should be a fun time. Three weeks from now I'll have a completed Pet Scan that should tell us there is no more noticeable disease. Another week after that and I will most likely be getting ready for my prolonged hospital stay. So things are getting busier, and I'm looking forward to getting things done and getting healthy long term.

No comments: