Friday, October 24, 2008

5th Cycle Starts

Well its on to my 5th cycle of chemotherapy this time around, and my 11th overall. I spent the night in the hospital last night for my campath infusion, and got rituxan this morning before getting hooked up to my EPOCH bag. Its the same old process that I've gotten used to, but its a pain the butt.
Yesterday's appointment at the clinic was somewhat uneventful. I had a simple echo cardiogram test before the appointment, and it seemed to be non-eventful. The tech who did the test said everything with my heart looked good, so I'll take that good news. The research team that is overseeing my chemotherapy didn't have anything new to report. The doctors felt that it is likely that I'll need another transfusion this time around, since my hemoglobin will likely drop a lot again. Otherswise there wont' be any changes or scheduled tests or scans coming up this cycle.
While the research team had little to report, we did get some more information from the transplant team. First my parents and I had a conversation with the lead doctor on the transplant team. He was looking to start the transplant at the beginning of January to work around the holidays. My family and I were under the assumption that we would have already started, and that I would be in the hospital over Christmas anyways. Since the lead doctor of the research team had wanted us to get started as quickly after my chemotherpay ends, we didn't want to wait a few more weeks. We also got a little more detail from the nurse practicioner who works with the transplant team. He let us know that following the 6th cycle of chemo I would undergo about 3 or 4 days of tests in order to ensure I was ready for the transplant. That sounds like fun. It doesn't sound like anything I haven't been through before, but its probably all going to be crammed into a short amount of time.
So for the time being there isn't much new to report. I'll get the 5th and 6th cycle of EPOCH-CR most likely without much difference than what I've been through already. However, once December begins it looks like life for the Blattner's here in Maryland will be a whirlwind. Hopefully I'll have a lot of energy in the next 6 weeks and will be able to get myself ready for this transplant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

It's me again. I wrote re your transfusion. Glad to hear that you will be out of the hospital for the holidays. We are still in hang mode for trasplant timing. It looked to be the end of Nov. but new factors have come up.
He goes this week for his last round of EPOCH-CR and PET and staging. I have just printed some more sections of your blog for him. He is just out of the hospital here yesterday. His Dr. here told him to expect another stay upon returning from Bethesda. So he is not jumping for joy. We may be switching to Houston for the transplant. Ins. company won't work with us on his supplemental plan which pays him whle in hospital. Since NIH is free they are off the hook. The financial toll is too heavy without income. If he is in private care they will pay. At least he is reading what I print out for him. Hoping your post do for him what they do for me. You are really helping. My prayers are with you and your family. May you have all the energy and strength you need for all of this. I am hoping that it gets a little easier for you both. I will keep reading and praying for you. Stay strong and may God Bless.
Pam