Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blood Transfusion

Its been a while since I've updated my blog. I haven't had a lot of energy lately and haven't sat down at the computer long enough to type my thoughts out. From my bi-weekly blood tests, one could tell why I was losing energy. My hemoglobin level went from 8.2 on October 7th, to 8.4 on October 10th, to 7.4 on October 13th. Keep in mind that levels under 13 are considered anemic for adult males. During my best days, I've got a pretty formidable task to stay energized with this condition. At NIH, they start to consider blood transfusions when hemoglobin levels dip below 8.5. When it was 7.4, they wanted me to come in right away for a transfusion. I ended up doing that Monday evening, and the nurse who saw me through that procedure let me know that my hemoglobin fell into the 6's when it was tested Monday evening. So my energy which was already low, was decreasing quickly and significantly. It takes a while for them to get the blood ready for transfusion, so I was at NIH past midnight getting two units of blood. However, when I was walking out of the hospital I was feeling good and could definitely feel the positive effect of the blood tranfusion. My hemoglobin level on Thursday was 9.1, which is as high as its been in probably about a month or so.

So while I still feel much more tired than I normally should, the tranfusion was a big help. I was able to put in a full 4 day work week. Yes...Christopher Columbus gave me an extra day last weekend. Most other things have been good during this cycle. My mouth hasn't been nearly as uncomfortable or painful as it was the previous cycle, and the other side effects aren't any worse than usual.

A positive thing I'd like to share was that Father Bob, the campus minister from Catholic University stopped by last Monday before I went for my blood transfusion. I got to know him very well while a student at Catholic, and have kept him updated about Kate and I's life together after graduation. He works closely with the football team at Catholic, and expressed that the team has kept me in prayer recently. The football program has changed a lot since I was there, but the current senior class was there when I was still coaching. Father Bob talked to us about our current situation, and offered to organize some help for us from current students and some alumni. It was great to sit down with him and feel support coming from yet another place.

Right now I've got a few days left until the next round of chemotherapy begins. It feels good every time I think about where I am in the process and how much closer I am to being through with it. I feel like the bone marrow transplant is a big question mark staring me in the face that keeps on getting closer and closer. I'm ready to run right at that question mark and smash through it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to wish you the best of luck in all you are going through and to thank you so much for your blog. My son goes up to NIH for the EPOCH-R + Campath for T cell rich B cell Lymphoma. He is not doing as well as it sounds like you are. He, too, just received blood and that did help, but the side effects are horrible. So to make a long story short, I am the mom of a single adult male and feel helpless most of the time. Your blog gave me hope and will continue to do so. Please tell your story loudly and don't stop. There are too many of us out here stumbling around the internet looking for information who will come upon your blog and feel a real connection. You and your family move to the top of my prayer list now, right next to my son. Thank you again for taking the time to share. I will definitely be looking forward to reading and the day when we have beaten this.
Pam