Monday, March 23, 2009

Day +95

Day +100 of the transplant process occurs later in the week, so I had a PET scan and bone marrow biopsy today. Both procedures went very well. It can be uncomfortable lieing motionless with your arms above your head for 45 minutes during the PET Scan. However, I was able to sleep well. I dreamt twice that the procedure was done and I was getting off of the machine, only to wake up and realized I was still strapped in. Kind of strange, but the dreaming made it feel like the procedure flew by.

The BMB was extremely easy. There is one doctor who is known by patients and staff at NIH for being great at performing these procedures. Last time around he oversaw a less experienced doctor perform mine. That hurt like hell and involved shooting pains running down both legs. Today he performed the procedure himself, and it was quick and almost painless. I was happy that both of these procedures were relatively easy today.

After the BMB Kate, my parents, and I waited for the lead doctor on the transplant team to speak with us. He shared the good news that there is only one lesion remaining on the PET Scan. This area of tumor activity has shrank in size and intensity since my last scan. The best news would obviously be no more cancer left in the body. However, hearing that the cancer is decreasing is still extremely satisfying news.

A regrowth of cancer cells likely would have led to more chemotherapy, radiation, or some other therapy. This decrease means I'll be able to continue with the transplant process as scheduled. This will be the last week of scheduled bi-weekly visits to NIH. That will be a welcome change to my schedule. It will also mean that the tapering of the immune suppressant drugs I'm on can continue. As those are tapered, the graft versus tumor effect on my remaining cancer cells should increase also.

With things going so well I asked the doctor what he thought about me returning to work. Unfortunately he wasn't as enthusiastic about that as he was about my progress. He would like me to remain out of work until I'm completely off of immune suppressants in about three months. Part of his concern is that my job entails I work with kids. With a new immune system, spending time around children isn't something the transplant team wants to see. This is extremely frustrating because I am feeling great on a daily basis. I know I have the energy to be back at work, and its boring to be around the house as much as I am.

Despite my disappointment about not getting the response I wanted about working, I still have to view things positively. Its not enjoyable, but I have to remind myself that ensuring my long term health is the most important thing going on right now.

Thank you to everybody who has been praying and wishing me well. The positive thoughts are working!

No comments: