Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day +140

Today was a clinic day, and things went pretty well. The doctor I saw today let me know that she caught the virus I had a few weeks ago. She felt pretty certain I just had allergies, and then BOOM...she got what I had. She was feeling better though, and so am I.

There is one thing bothering me, and that is my mouth. I've had the chronic GVHD of the mouth and skin for a while now. The skin doesn't bother me as much, but the oral GVHD can be a pain in the butt when it flairs up. I saw the dentist last week and her exam showed that my mouth cleared up a lot since starting a steroid ointment. She reccomended that I start using the ointment every other day rather than twice a day since my mouth was looking so good. A week later I am having a bit of trouble pronouncing my words because the ulcers under my tongue have flared back up. So I am resuming the twice a day use of the ointment for now, and hopefully it will clear up quickly again.

My skin is still discolored, mostly in areas that I've severely burned in the past...face, neck, shoulders, and chest. Last week it itched a lot more and looked a deep shade of red. The dermatologist at NIH started me on a steroid cream for my skin, and the itching has subsided while the discoloration is now a healthier looking pink. At this point my skin doesn't bother me. The biggest nuisance is having to avoid a lot of sun exposure. Thats probably something I'll have to do for a while, so long sleeve shirts, SPF 60, and staying in during the middle of the day will stick around for a bit.

The next couple of weeks should be pretty exciting for me. Next week Kate, my brother Matt, Isaiah, and I will drive from DC out to Milwaukee for other brother Tim's graduation from Marquette. The Docs are on board with that, and I've been told it will be fine to skip my appointment next week for us to get an earlier start. Before we head out, I might also get my Hickman line removed. So a week from now I will likely be on my first trip greater than 50 miles from home since pre-relapse last July. Having the Hickman line out will be a big comfort, and I'll look forward to jumping into the shower again, rather than having to look in the mirror and fuss with the lines and an aquaguard.

Our plan is to arrive back from Wisconsin on Tuesday the 19th, and Wednesday the 20th will be my first day back at work! It will be fun to get back to a normal routine for both Kate and I, even if it will only last until the end of school in DC in mid-June. If all that isn't enough excitement, I have a PET scan that Friday. I guess I look forward to PET scans, although anxious might be a better way to describe how Kate and my mom feel leading up to those scans. Although the news wasn't bad last time around, the PET scan results were somewhat disappointing. Hopefully, we are heading to some more positive news with that scan in a few weeks.

No comments: