Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day +155

Happy PET scans always make for good days!

I had another uneventful PET scan experience, and the doctor from the transplant team was quick to announce that the scan showed good results. He let us know that the tumor mass is stable to improving. Doctors tend to be conservative when speaking about cancer, and he admitted that calling things stable was conservative. Most likely the tumor area is slowly improving, which is what we were expecting.

After the last scan he reported that there were some areas in the lung that showed up in the PET, that were most likely caused by the bout of Pneumonia I had earlier in the year. On today's scan one of those spots had completely disappeared. Supposedly the radiologist who was viewing the PET with him asked if I had a recent infection without knowing my history. The other spots in the lung were again...stable to slightly improved. He felt very confident that those spots in the lungs were just showing inflammation and that the infection was lingering.

So the bottom line is that I am not cancer free, but that what is there is only minimal. Every scan without an increase in cancer activity marks progress. Without today's news the doctor wants me to consider to stay on my current regimen of immune suppressants. If I had no signs of cancer, the plan would be to put me on more immune suppressants to treat my GVHD. However, with the way things are now, I just have to deal with the GVHD and hope that there is also a Graft Versus Tumor effect occurring.

I'd be happy to not deal with the GVHD symptoms, but its better to live with them and without cancer. Thanks for all of the support, and I hope everybody enjoys their Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: