Friday, September 26, 2008

Low Blood Counts Coming Up

I've felt the urge to update the blog several times this week, and even started typing at one point only to stop. Having the concentration and energy to sit down, gather my thoughts, and type for a few minutes can be hard at times. Its was probably harder the past few days than most since my blood counts were at their lowest during this time.
On Monday my white blood cell count was 400 with a neutrophil count of 310. Thats extremely low and offered me about as little help fighting infections as a person can get without a completely ineffective immune system. My temperature is usually between 97 and 98 degrees, and it went up to 99.5 at one point on Tuesday. So I had a borderline fever. However, my temperature came down quickly and I didn't have to consider calling NIH and heading to the hospital. Since then it has remained normal.
Yesterday was day 14 of my cycle and the day that I am usually told I can stop taking the neupogen shots. However, my neutrophil count was 4400, which is below the 5000 number necessary to stop the injections. I was somewhat expecting this since my counts were so low on Monday. So I'll make an extra stop to NIH tommorow to have my blood checked and ensure that my counts have risen to a safer level.
I worked all week and was pretty tired most days after getting home. Today I have a lot more energy in the afternoon and I feel like I've turned the corner in terms of energy this cycle. The next 5 days I should feel pretty normal and enjoy things before the next round of EPOCH-C begins.

No comments: