Saturday, September 20, 2008

Standard Update

My 2nd round of EPOCH-C was possibly the easiest cycle of chemotherapy I've had so far, but this most recent one has not been as nice. Things are still going well, although the chemo has been affecting me a bit more. I was able to work the entire week, and felt pretty good while doing so. On Thursday I came home to see my mom had stopped by for a surprise visit. A back to school night was scheduled at work, but I decided to lay down for a minute to rest before heading back to work. I immediately fell asleep, and became completely disoriented. Isaiah brushed by my leg at one point, and I woke up startled and thinking it was the next day, although I probably had only had my eyes closed a few minutes. So I ditched the idea of returning to work and took a nap while Kate, Isaiah, and my mom went to the local farmer's market.
One of the cumulative side effects of the chemotherapy is gum loss. The mouth is full of rapidly producing cells, and the chemotherapy is starting to take a toll on them. I've started to notice a little less taste this past week from my taste buds. My gums are bleeding very easily when I brush, I'm getting some small sores on my tongue and, the receeding gums means I get way too much food stuck in between my teeth. This hasn't become a big problem, but it can certainly be uncomfortable. A clean, healthy mouth is definitely one of the small things in life that is taken for granted until it becomes a problem.

1 comment:

O'Reilly said...

Hey John,

Ran across your blog and wanted to drop you a note (even though you don't know me).

My wife was diagnosed with grey zone lymphoma in November 2006. She had a different regimen of chemo than you, but has come through it OK and her checkups have been clear since finishing treatment in May 2007. I have been in touch with other GZL patients in the past, and all of them have come through well so far. Sorry to hear you are still need to fight it, but just wanted to let you know that most of the info I receive in regards to GZL is positive, so keep fighting! It sounds like you have great attitude, which goes a long way too.

You, and your family, will be in our prayers. Take care.