Monday, September 1, 2008

Feeling Great at Day 11

Well today is day 11 of my 2nd round of chemotherapy and I'm happy to report I'm feeling great. Since I stopped receiving my infusions, I am supposed to monitor my temperature closely to make sure I don't develop a fever. I haven't risen above 98.7, so thats been good. I don't remember well, but Kate reminded me that it was day 12 during the last cycle that I felt the worst. Hopefully my positive feeling won't end in the next day or so.
Today I went in to NIH to get my blood drawn. I got a phone call back from the nurse there that I am not neutropenic. That isn't surprising considering how I'm feeling, but it is considering I was neutropenic at this point in the 1st cycle. The dosage increased with the EPOCH, so I believe the doctors thought I would be very low on my blood counts. While all of my counts are fine right now, it is still possible that they are still decreasing. So there is a chance I could still get sick in the next few days. By Thursday I should know if my counts are rebounding, and I expect that to be the situation.
While at NIH I took the opportunity to weigh myself, and I was down to 246. So while it was shocking to gain 10 pounds in 5 days last week, it is good to know that not all of that weight was permanent. I still have a good appetite, so its not like I'm starving myself. I probably had a lot of extra water weight at that time.
Well I am feeling great right now, and enjoying the paid day off for Labor Day. If I feel as well as I do now tommorow I will be finishing up another day of work in 24 hours. Out of all 8 cycles of chemotherapy that I've had, I think I might be feeling as good during this round as I have during any. My energy is high, and I'm not feeling a lot of side effects. I hope everybody else is feeling great and enjoying the holiday as much as I am!

No comments: