Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day +16

Got some good news today. The doctors are still happy with my progress and there are no new concerns. My white blood cells were up to 1.880, and my neutrophil count is 1.235. There is steady progress there, but my platelets are still low, 13 as of this afternoon.

So this morning the attending doctor said that Monday will be my planned discharge date! In addition to that good news, they plan on giving me a day pass to leave the hospital tommorow and Sunday. So at some point tommorow I should be able to head home and spend time with Kate and Isaiah at home. It will be strange to leave the hospital after almost a month here, but I am extremely excited for it. There is still a lot of things I need to follow up on once I leave the hospital, but it will be so much more comfortable to be treated as an outpatient and to be able to spend more time with my family.

Although I am still in the hospital tonight, I feel somewhat free. I have been receiving tacrolimus through an IV since Day -2, and they finally removed that IV for good this afternoon. So I am not currently hooked up to any IVs, and don't have any plans to unless I need a transfusion. I will continue to receive the tacrolimus orally for the next 100 days, but my dose level is so low that they do not have a pill small enough for me. So the pharmacist had to make an elixir with the small amount of tacrolimus that I'll be receiving, and I will be taking that orally twice a day. Things are really starting to look up today. The hospital stay will soon be over, and the next stage in this journey will pick up.

No comments: