Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day +36

Things continue to go well at home. I am still spending almost all of my time at the house, and haven't ventured out into public that much. Cabin fever hasn't set in too badly, and my spirits are definitely up.

Last week I received a blood tranfusion because my hemoglobin level had dropped, and since then I've had a lot more energy. I find myself napping and laying down a lot less, although its hard to predict when I'll get tired. I've been outpatient now for two weeks, although it feels like its been a much longer time. How I feel today when compared to last week and a week ago is a lot better.

I had my second clinic visit this week, and the good news is that I felt both of those visits were kind of pointless. I had nothing negative to report to the doctors about my health or how I feel, and the doctors haven't had any significant news to share with me as well. The hopes for a boring process, seem to be coming true right now.

The one issue I have talked with my doctors about is removing the Hickman line that I've used to receive transfusions and get blood drawn from. The area around the sight is a little bit red, and there is a bit of a crusty discharge near the site as well. The doctors don't seem overly concerned about it, since I haven't had sign of a fever, it hasn't visually gotten worse, and it isn't sensitive to the touch. However, one doctor in particular seems eager to take it out since I haven't had to receive many IV transfusions since I've been discharged. I don't mind getting stuck with needles, so I think it would be a smart decision to have it removed soon and avoid the chance of infection. This will probably be something I'll try to arrange next week when I return to NIH.

There isn't much else going on with me right now. My next PET scan will occur sometime in the middle of February, and I won't have a bone marrow biopsy again until day +100. Hopefully things continue to be boring, and I continue to feel great.

No comments: