Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day +20

I just can't seem to get out of this hospital. Tonight will be my 29th night at NIH, and I am pretty certain it will be my last night. I was told this morning that I might have been discharged this afternoon if the tests run on my stool sample were looking good. Well the results were negative for anything important, but I guess the doctors had decided earlier that Wednesday and not Tuesday afternoon would be my discharge. Would have been nice if they told me that when it was decided. So with my parents in the room I let out a little bit of frustration. I was told a week ago that last Friday would be my discharge day, only to have it pushed back to Monday, have me think it was today, and now Wednesday. I was all set to go this evening, but I guess another 24 hours isn't that long in the grand scheme of life.

Since my parents were here to take me home and I was staying, they did manage to take me out to dinner. We were in a nice Italian restaurant without much of a crowd, which is important for where I'm at physically right now. The food was definitely the best I've had since I've been in the hospital, but I quickly became exhausted. I had a hard time keeping my head off of the table by the time the entree arrived, and all I wanted to do was lie down. I was in tears for a minute or two just because of how exhausted I was. I felt great when we left the hospital and entered the restaurant, but my energy just disappeared so quickly. I'll take that experience as a sign that I'm not ready to be out in public that much. Having a bed nearby where I can crash at any time is going to be important.

Well tommorow Kate should be over here at NIH so we can get a bit more information about taking care of things while we are at home, and then we should be on our way. Dealing with cancer isn't easy, and there are always surprises. After all of these surprises with my discharge, I am praying for an uneventful day tommorow and a chance for some uninterrupted sleep in my own bed.

No comments: