Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chemotherapy Update

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 06, 2008 03:25 PM, CDT
Today is Wednesday...Day 6 in this round of chemotherapy. Yesterday I spent several hours at the hospital receiving the last of my chemotherapy. After that I had the PICC line, 52 cms of catheter, removed from my veins and was sent on my way. Since leaving the hospital on Friday, the process has felt pretty uneventful. It hasn't been that long since I had chemo, and it unfortunately rushes back into your consciousness quickly. While its a crappy experience, it feels almost normal to me.
Today I am exhausted. Part of the chemotherapy is taking a steroid called Prednisone. It gives me a huge hunger, which isn't a bad thing since I love to eat, and a lot of energy. However, my final dose of prednisone was last night, and this morning I could do nothing but sleep. Without the steroids in my system, I truly feel how much these drugs beat the body down. It sucks to feel worthless, and I've got some of that going on. I can still do some of the daddy stuff with Isaiah and help out a miniscule amount around the house, but not much.
Don't know what else to write. I think I could write a novel about how the chemo messes with the usual bodily functions, but I know not everybody will be interested in that. I think I'll keep the posting here clean and get back to napping.

No comments: