Saturday, August 23, 2008

Nausea and Vomiting

FRIDAY, AUGUST 08, 2008 01:47 PM, CDT
Its Friday, which probably means the end of another work week to most people, but is just another day in my life right now. The good news is that I'm awake right now and feeling good.
Yesterday morning I got hit with some nausea. Its definitely an uncomfortable feeling to wake up to, so I tried to take some anti-nausea medicine to help quell the feeling. So I head downstairs with Isaiah to get some liquid and pills in me. I get the anti-nausea medication in my system before Isaiah asks for some blueberries. While dishing out blueberries for the lil guy I realize that things aren't going to stay down in my stomach. As soon as Isaiah got his berries, it was up the stairs for me and into the bathroom. Vomiting ensued!!!
That sucked! I'm a puker...always have been and always will. Throwing up doesn't bother me. However, usually if I'm feeling sick and throw up, I feel better after that. Nausea doesn't really ease up like that. The discomfort in the chest is still there desipte the heaving. And what benefit do I get from the nausea medication now that it has been expelled from my stomach and flushed down the toilet?
Luckily I remembered this experience from last September and had asked the nurse practicioner at NIH for Lorazepam, a drug that is prescribed for anxiety but also does a hell of a good job preventing nausea. I was able to take some of the Lorazepam, and drowsiness as a side effect is an understatement. I layed flat on my stomach, cause thats the only good position with the nausea, and fell asleep for the entire day.
When I woke up my child was missing. Fortunately he is just with his grandparents, who I assume are responsible for his care. My parents stopped by while I was passed, and I remember them saying something to me. I believe I responded as well, but they might not have heard my muffled thoughts with my head buried in a pillow. Thankfully they have helped out with Isaiah, who gets easily bored when Daddy sleeps all day and can't play around.
Well...I got out of the house to get my blood drawn today, and have been awake since the morning. Unfortunately I feel like my energy is waning and its time for another nap. Feeling like I am right now, its hard to believe that I worked like this last year. Looking back on it now I'm impressed how hard I worked through that, because it certainly isn't easy.

No comments: