Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ten Pounds

Today was day five of my second cycle of chemotherapy, which means I received my cytoxin infusion and had my PICC line pulled out. So I am no longer connected to a backpack full of medicine!!!
I had a different nurse the last two days, and she decided to weigh me before my infusion. I usually don't get weighed at this time, but I did so today. On Thursday, just 5 days ago, I weighed in at 239 pounds. That was only 3 pounds more than I had weighed before my first round of EPOCH-C. So I was proud of myself for not gaining a lot of weight despite all of the hunger I experience with the prednisone.
So just 5 prednisone fueled days after the last weigh in, I jumped on the scales at 249! 10 pounds in less than 5 days is impressive. Thats some good eating! Now...I did leave my shoes on, have a bit of crap in my pocket, and was wearing long pants instead of shorts, so it might have been just 9 pounds. However, that is still a lot to put on in such a short amount of time. It will be interesting to see how my weight does over the next 16 days when I am off of the steroids.
Besides the full belly I am doing well though. I was able to work this morning and Monday, which was nice to do since Monday was the first day of school for students. Seeing the students who I've worked with before and meeting new students reminded me so much why I love my job. It felt great to be back in that environment, but disappointing at the same time since I don't know how much I will be able to work this year while dealing with this illness. Its discouraging to know that I won't be there everyday, but this is just one of those situations where I have to take things from day to day. For the rest of the week I plan on working, but I know next week my blood counts will be so low that I might not have the energy to make it through a day of work. My lead research doctor let me know to be prepared to enter the hospital next week, but I'm hoping that won't need to happen.

No comments: