Saturday, August 23, 2008

Neutropenia

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13, 2008 12:26 AM, CDT
I woke up this morning and didn't feel any pain at all in my back. I got through the whole day and didn't have any problems with bone pain, so that was great.
I got a call from one of the nurses at NIH with the results of my blood test from yesterday. I get my blood drawn twice a week to check the white cell counts. Last Friday I had normal a normal WBC count of 1600. From Monday's test I had gone down to 800, which made me neutropenic. That basically means I have less cells fighting infections in my blood, so I am susceptible to infections.
I definitely felt the effects of this condition on my body, because I slept most of the day. I had very little energy and couldn't stay awake after having breakfast. I managed to get out of the house a little bit in the late afternoon, but I quickly started feeling worn out after that. So it looks like I'll be taking it easy for the next couple of days until I get the results of my next blood test Thursday or Friday.

No comments: