Saturday, August 23, 2008

Good News after First Cycle of Chemotherapy

THURSDAY, AUGUST 21, 2008 08:38 PM, CDT
So this is nice. I'm sitting in my hospital room for the night waiting to start treatment and I've got an internet hookup. I've known there was a possibility to access the internet in the rooms at NIH, but this is the first time one of my beds was equipped with the keyboard and mouse. The space bar on this keyboard is extremely sticky, which is an annoyance. If you read any compound words that shouldn't be, you will know why.
As far as all day hospital visits go, today wasn't bad. I had a Pet Scan to start the day, and it was a lot more comfortable than the one I had a month ago. My plan to stay up half the night last night paid off this morning. I slept very easily during the scan. Even better news than my comfort during the scan was its result. I was informed by my lead doctor while I waited for my appointment that the Pet Scan had very positive results. Later during the consultation he stated the Pet showed an 80 to 90% improvement. That was great news. Since the treatment has gone so well after this first treatment, I will continue to receive the EPOCH and Campath.
Following my appointment I went to get my PICC line placed. That was uncomfortable as usual, but its over with now. While I was getting that procedure, my parents talked with the doctor from the transplant team. He gave them some good information about what the process will be like. We discussed things over dinner, and my parents said the doctor will see me tommorow and give me further information. My father the doctor was impressed with the transplant doctor, and I feel like I will be comfortable getting the transplant here at NIH. It will be great to get that treatment here in Maryland, because I will be close to family and friends. The free services at NIH(THANKYOU FELLOW TAX PAYERS) will also be a great benefit in addition to the high level of medical care I will get here. Unfortunately it looks like I will be spending up to a year out of work following the transplant, so there will be a lot of issues to deal with financially. Luckily for Kate, Isaiah, and I we have a family full of people that are completely supportive. I imagine how hard it is to live through this process for those without the financial and spiritual resources our family and friends have, and I know that we are blessed.
So the vibe tonight is of happiness. The treatment is working so far, but there is still a long way to go before permanent good health is achieved. I should start this second round of chemotherapy around 11 tonight, and hopefully all will go well.

No comments: