Sunday, December 14, 2008

Day -3

Another day down at NIH. I didn't sleep well last night, and this morning was the first time I really started feeling down. It started when I woke up too early and progressed at 6 AM when I got nauseous and dry heaved into a trash can. The nausea subsided right after that incident, but I just wasn't feeling great most of the morning. The good news is that I had a nice long visit with Kate, Isaiah, my parents, Kate's mom, and Kate's sister. They came early in the afternoon and stayed pretty much until evening. That really picked me up and I am feeling a lot better right now.

Another positive from today was that it was my last day of Cytoxan and Fludarabine. I'm done with chemo...at least for now! The end of the chemo means that I started taking the drugs to help prevent GVHD. The Sirolimus was a bunch of small pills that had a sweet candy coating on it. Not bad to swallow. The Tacrolimus is given to me IV, and it is a 24 hour infusion despite being in a tiny little bag. The rate it infuses is just 4.2 ml per hour, so it must be something potent. The doctor said it could cause tremors or headaches, but I haven't seen any signs of that yet.

Hopefully with the chemotherapy done the next two days will be better. Who knows how they will be, but at least I have my family's support to help me get through this. It truly would be a struggle without their visits to get through this, because a hospital can be a depressing place.

No comments: